WHAT IS INFILL?
Infill is used in inferior synthetic lawn products. It is typically needed for three main reasons: 1) As ballast for products with insufficient raw material 2) To assist weak blades in standing up and, 3) to protect these inferior lawn products from UV degradation. The most prolific (as well as the most controversial) infill is made from ground up rubber tires and is called either "rubber crumb" or "crumb rubber". Due to recent controversy surrounding rubber crumb, a few new infill materials have been introduced including silica sand and zeofill.
WHAT ARE THE POTENTIAL PITFALLS OF INFILL?
- RUN-OFF - Rain, power blowers and hosing off the lawn will cause infill run-off requiring that the infill be replaced after a while.
- MESSY - Anyone who has ever been on a playing field with infill know that the stuff gets everywhere! It gets caught in your hair, shoes, clothing as well as in pet fur and feet. Children and pets will continually track the material into the house.
- UNSANITARY - If the synthetic lawn is to be used as a pet potty area, there are serious concerns about the inability to get the lawn clean. When using a hose to clean up after your pet, it is impossible to fully remove solid waste without also removing the infill material in that area.
- CONCERNS REGARDING RUBBER CRUMB SPECIFICALLY:
- FLAMMABLE - There have been some high profile cases of play areas catching on fire due to the flammability of rubber crumb. The synthetic lawn itself is not flammable - in fact it is self-extinguishing.
- CARCINOGENIC - There have been concerns raised recently about a potential link between increased exposure to rubber crumb and cancer.
Is It possible to get synthetic lawn without infill?
SYNLawn is the ONLY manufacturer to offer synthetic lawn that DOES NOT require infill. Our grass is heartier and more robust and therefore does not need infill for the reasons noted above. The pictures below show the difference between an infill vs the non-infill lawn offered by SYNLawn.